Congress has worked on several projects to both support the communities in which we have an impact, while always looking at where we can reduce waste. These include:• Re-distributing waste lunch bags to Birmingham Homeless charities
•Surplus coffee cups donated to a Gloucestershire soup kitchen
•Congress bags to STEM university outreach and other charities
•Reusable water bottles for each delegate saving production of nearly 14,000 single-use plastic bottles of water
•Staggered change to print on demand delegate badges in 2019 - all registrations after 28th February 2019 will be print on site
•Reducing the number of printed programmes and upgrading the app to be more user friendly
Our partners at the NEC Group (including the ICC and Arena Birmingham venues) are key in supporting our environmental impact and most of this activity goes on behind the scenes for efficiency. Their initiatives include:
• Paper / Cardboard and glass are all recycled by Kappa
• Food waste not suitable for redistribution is collected and sent to an anaerobic digestion plant
• Glass is collected in a glass skip and this is collected for recycling and using as aggregate
• All other waste is collected and taken to the Tyseley Waste Plant where materials are separated and anything that can’t be recycled is used for waste to energy. Therefore, there are no separate recycling bins (except for paper).
• Car Parks – all lighting has now been swapped to LED fittings
• Water – all urinals in the venue are now operating the URECO cartridge sleeve which saves approx. 315,000 litres of water each urinal per year.
• Energy is via a CHP plant run and maintained by Engie
How can you help?
Many exhibitors can send over information via email instead of printing and handing out hard copies. We would encourage delegates to allow them to do this where possible to avoid paper waste.
Help us minimise production of delegate bags and water bottles by bringing along items from previous events. We will even offer a prize for the the oldest Congress bag! - visit us at the Congress registration desk to find out more.
Use public transport wherever possible - Virgin Trains offer a 25% discount to all Congress delegate (find out more)
If you have any suggestions or ideas then please get in touch.